littlelaughalot

Monday, August 28, 2006

Embarrassing Problem?


A Medical Problem

An old woman came into her doctor's office and confessed to an embarrassing problem. "I fart all the time, Doctor Johnson, but they're soundless, and they have no odour. In fact, since I've been here, I've farted no less than twenty times. What can I do?"

"Here's a prescription, Mrs. Harris. Take these pills three times a day for seven days and come back and see me in a week."

Next week an upset Mrs. Harris marched into Dr. Johnson's office. "Doctor, I don't know what was in those pills, but the problem is worse! I'm farting just as much, but now they smell terrible! What do you have to say for yourself?"

"Calm down, Mrs. Harris," said the doctor soothingly. "Now that we've fixed your sinuses, we'll work on your hearing!!!"

I was brought up never to use the word fart...but the joke just wouldn't be the same without it....so sorry mum! Tonight we were over at Thomas' mum and dad's house with the girls. Whilst having a cup of tea, I decided for some reason to lift up the mac...(it's always to hand in our family!) and search the net for "funny stories". I came across this joke and read it through first of all to Thomas and Dayna, and we roared in laughter. When Thomas' mum and dad came through I tried my best to recite the joke once again but failed miserably because of my lack of composure due to histerics to be able to read the joke properly! Now as a true Christian!....I should somehow be able to spiritualise this little story...how?..you may ask!

This poor lady was obviously totally unaware of what she was doing. Her health problems meant that she was oblivious to what was going on and unaware of the effect she was having on others. She was blind to the truth that everyone could see (or perhaps smell!!!) clearly...yet she just couldn't understand....and what happens?

The doctor examines and diagnoses, and reveals the truth that she herself, just could not see. She's had her check-up....she's in tune once again..and the reality for her isn't very nice...for now she can finally see...she is no longer blinded to the truth. She is in full knowledge and she somehow now has to deal with it.

In our own lives, how often do we lose our focus?...how often do we lose sight of all that God would seek to do in our lives? It's not always something that just happens one day...it's a gradual thing that creeps up over a period of time, until we don't even notice how far we've gone, and we can't really see what the problem is...

"God made my life complete
when I placed all the pieces before him.
When I cleaned up my act,
he gave me a fresh start.
Indeed, I've kept alert to God's ways;
I haven't taken God for granted.
Every day I review the ways he works,
I try not to miss a trick.
I feel put back together,
and I'm watching my step.
God rewrote the text of my life
when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes."
The Message 2 Samuel 22 verses 21-25

When we don't spend time with God...when we don't actively seek Him out in our everyday lives...then we lose sight of Him, and things become a little fuzzy. Boundaries shift, expectations from others aren't met, and our standards slip. Others notice the change in us, but we are blinded to that truth...that we have changed...we are not spiritually healthy and we are in desperate need for a check-up of the spiritual kind.

What thrills me about this passage from the bible is to know that the diagnosis for me is that I can have a brand new start...a clean slate...a living hope...a new found purpose...as long as I keep myself alert to the ways of God, and keep my eyes fixed on Him.

The hard part now is that if we accept the diagnosis, then finally we realise where we had been going wrong...and the truth certainly does hurt sometimes,.. but as always God's grace allows us to be forgiven.

If it's been a while since you've had a chat with God, then make an appointment with Him...the great physician... and get yourself checked out!


Posted by littlelaughalot :: 10:27 pm :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------